St Helens Town v Carlisle City,HSL League First Division,Saturday 15th October 2016

“If you want a job doing properly then do it yourself” a phrase used by many people worldwide in various situations of many different industries and non more so than association football and for Carlisle City player/manager and his assistant Jonny Allen they lived up that as the only two substitutes for the depleted away side squad as both came on and both got the all important goals to take all three points back up the M6 which would have made the long journey seem that little bit quicker from this hard fought win over St Helens Town which was played at Atherton Collieires’ ground due to continued works at the home sides new place. 

St Helens began positively from the outset and were unlucky not to be two goals to the good in the opening ten minutes or so with City keeper Karl Skelton saving good attempts by Andy Gillespie and Luke Edwards. 

City got the first goal of the day in the battle of the blues on 21 minutes when Tyran Taylor met a loose ball off a free kick to safely head home for the away side to go 1-0 up. 

Celebrating the first goal

The lead didn’t last long as St Helens began to attack more,Paul Carney had a shot wide close to the half hour mark but then the scores were level as Andy Gillespie headed home from a free kick then a few minutes before the half time break Andy Webster headed home from another free kick to make it 2-1 at half time with all the goals being headers off free kicks. 

After the break St Helens all but looked to have put the game to bed as Luke Edwards lobbed over the City keeper to make it 3-1 with just over forty minutes left to play however this game was far from over. 

Just before the hour mark City captain Danny Greenslade rose up from the ground like Jacks’s beanstalk to head home a Junior Green cross to now make it 3-2 in the home sides favour, then the tide slowly began to turn for Carlisle as the boss came on. 

St Helens were still hopeful of collecting the three points and with ten minutes left it looked highly likely, Carlisle though finally drew level as Jimmy Tose netted past Gage Walsh to make it 3-3 on 83 minutes then the winning goal came for Carlilse City in the dying embers of the match as Jonny Allan chipped over a beautiful shot from outside the box to make the score 4-3 for the away side. 

Carlisle then had four minutes of injury time to hold on and the squad managed to fend off a spirited fight back to make sure the points went back up north. 

FT,St Helens Town 3  Carlisle City 4

The score was a repeat of the game between the two clubs who both met on the opening day of the season,Carlisle may have been short on players but they were not short on spirit,lots of teams in this league will not want to go their when the winter weather fully kicks in,St Helens will have been gutted to have let a lead like this slip away and things should change once they get back to their new ground back in St Helens

St Helens Town
Walsh,Pegler,Carney,Webster,Whelan,Rigby,Greene,Tserpes,Gillespie (C),McDonald,Edwards

Subs, Ball,Ashton,Korie-Butler,Donohue,Cliff

Carlisle City

Skelton,Allison,Heath,Armstrong,Taylor,Slack,Green,Graham,Balmer,Cherry,Greenslade (C)

Subs, Allan,Tose

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s